Ambulatory Surgical Center News
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has now displayed the Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS) and Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) Payment System for Calendar Year (CY) 2018. The CY 2018 Final Rule, CMS-1678-FC (PDF), was placed on display November 1, 2017, and will be published in the Federal Register on November 13, 2017. Changes to the Hospital Outpatient Quality Reporting (OQR) Program begin on page 837 of the PDF. Changes affecting the ASC Quality Reporting (ASCQR) Program begin on page 922 of the PDF. As an additional resource, CMS has provided a fact sheet addressing the changes proposed in the Final Rule for 2018.
- CMS grants exceptions for Quality Program participants in FEMA disaster areas in Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands affected by Hurricane Maria
- CMS grants exceptions for Quality Program participants in FEMA disaster areas in Florida, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands affected by Hurricane Irma
- CMS grants exemptions for Quality Program participants in FEMA disaster areas in Texas and Louisiana affected by Hurricane Harvey
- CY 2018 OPPS/ASC Proposed Rule published and open for comment
- CY 2017 OPPS/ASC final rule with comment period published
- CY 2017 OPPS/ASC proposed rule published and open for comment
Ambulatory Surgical Center Quality Reporting Program Overview
The Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) Program is a pay-for-reporting, quality data program finalized by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Under this program, ASCs report quality of care data for standardized measures to receive the full annual update to their ASC annual payment rate.
Initial program requirements were included in the CY 2012 Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS)/ASC final rule, CMS-1525-FC. The final rule can be viewed and downloaded from the Hospital Outpatient Regulation and Notices page of the CMS website. Details regarding the Ambulatory Surgical Center (ASC) Quality Reporting Program begin on page 371 of the downloadable PDF document (Federal Register page 74492).More »