PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting (PCHQR) Program
Section 1886(s)(4)(E) of the Social Security Act established procedures for making the data submitted under the PCHQR Program available to the public.
Hospital Compare is the website on which the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) publicly reports hospital performance on numerous measures. Hospital Compare is designed to make meaningful, relevant, and easily understood information about hospital performance accessible to the public and to inform and encourage hospitals’ efforts to improve care quality. Accessibility and use of performance information spurs positive changes in healthcare delivery.
The PCHQR Program has quality of care data publicly displayed on a rolling quarter basis. The data are published four times each year. Prior data will continue to display until refreshed by newer data.
The following measures are updated on a quarterly basis:
- Cancer-Specific Treatment (CST) Measures (NQF #0223, #0559 and #0220)
- Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS) Survey data (NQF #0166)
The following measures are updated on an annual basis:
- Oncology Care Measures (OCM) (NQF #0382, #0383, #0384, #0389 and #0390)
- Clinical Effectiveness Measure - External Beam Radiotherapy for Bone Metastases
Prior to the public release of data on CMS’ Hospital Compare website, PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospitals (PCHs) are given the opportunity to preview data for a 30-day preview period. Preview data will be accessible for PCHs through the QualityNet Secure Portal. Providers will be notified via ListServe when the data is available.
Hospital Compare Preview Report Resources
The following documents are updated quarterly and made available to assist hospitals in accessing and interpreting their Hospital Compare preview data.
- PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting Hospital Compare Preview Report Quick Reference Guide, (PDF-50 KB)
- PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospital Quality Reporting Hospital Compare Preview Report Help Guide, (PDF-548 KB)
Additional guidance on how to access and read preview data can be found in Section 9: Public Reporting of the PCHQR Program Manual, (PDF-5.9 MB).
To receive emails about upcoming public reporting publication dates and other program news, subscribe to the PPS-Exempt Cancer Hospitals Quality Reporting Program Notifications ListServe.