Measure Methodology Reports
The methodology and updates reports listed below describe the methods used to develop the risk-standardized readmission measures, and the 2017 updates and quality assurance activities.
Additional rationale of CMS’s methodological decisions during development and reevaluation of the readmission measures is available in the Frequently Asked Questions and Measure Development Background Fact Sheet documents.
2017 Readmission Measures Updates
CMS contracted with a team of clinical and statistical experts from Yale New Haven Health Services Corporation/Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (YNHHSC/CORE) to develop, and annually re-evaluate and update the readmission measures. The 2017 reports describe the measures' re-evaluation activities conducted in preparation for the 2017 public reporting cycle.
- 2017 Condition-Specific Readmission Measure Updates and Specifications Report: AMI, HF, Pneumonia, COPD, and Stroke, PDF-2.2 MB (04/06/17)
- 2017 Procedure-Specific Readmission Measure Updates and Specifications Report: THA/TKA and CABG, PDF-1.8 MB (04/06/17)
- 2017 All-Cause Hospital-Wide Measure Updates and Specifications Report: Hospital-Wide Readmission, PDF-1.7 MB (04/06/17)
Previous annual measure updates and specifications reports can be found on the Readmission Measures Archived Resources page.
Readmission Measure Development (original methodology reports)
The following reports provide measure development background and rationale, description of YNHHSC/CORE’s model development and testing approach, and detailed measure specifications.
- Hospital 30-Day Acute Myocardial Infarction Readmission Measure Methodology, PDF-655 KB (04/10/09)
- Hospital 30-Day Readmission Following Admission for an Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Measure Methodology Report, PDF-598 KB (09/29/11)
- Hospital 30-Day Heart Failure Readmission Measure Methodology, PDF-697 KB (04/23/08)
- Hospital 30-Day Pneumonia Readmission Measure Methodology, PDF-655 KB (06/09/08)
- Hospital 30-Day Readmission Following Acute Ischemic Stroke Hospitalization Measure, Measure Methodology Report, PDF-721 KB (09/29/10)
- Hospital 30-Day Readmission following Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery, Measure Methodology Report, PDF-3.2 MB (08/27/14)
- Hospital 30-Day Readmission following THA/TKA, Measure Methodology Report, PDF-1.1 MB (08/16/12)
- Hospital-Wide Readmission Measure Final Technical Report, PDF-2.3 MB (08/16/12)
Additional information about the measure methodology is available on the Readmission Measures Published Literature page.