Measure Methodology Reports
The publicly reported 30-day risk-standardized unplanned readmission measures include:
-Acute Myocardial Infarction (AMI)
-Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
-Heart Failure (HF)
-Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG), New in 2015
-Total Hip Arthroplasty (THA) and/or Total Knee Arthroplasty (TKA)
|Hospital-Wide||-Hospital-Wide All-Cause Readmission (HWR)|
The CMS readmission measures adjust for each hospital’s case mix (patient demographics and comorbidities) to accurately compare readmission rates across hospitals. The HWR measure also adjusts for patients’ primary diagnosis because hospitals vary in their mix of conditions and procedures (service mix). The methodology and updates reports listed below describe the methods used in the development of the risk-standardized readmission measures and the 2015 measure updates and quality assurance activities.
More detailed rationale of CMS’s methodological decisions during development and reevaluation of the readmission measures is available on the Frequently Asked Questions page.
2015 Readmission Measures Updates
CMS contracted with a team of clinical and statistical experts from Yale New Haven Health Services Corporation/Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation (YNHHSC/CORE) to develop, and annually re-evaluate and update the readmission measures. The 2015 reports describe the measures re-evaluation activities conducted in preparation for the 2015 public reporting cycle.
- AMI-Version 8.0, HF-Version 8.0, Pneumonia-Version 8.0, COPD-Version 4.0, and Stroke-Version 4.0: 2015 Condition-Specific Readmission Measures Updates and Specifications Report, PDF-2 MB (04/03/15)
- THA and/or TKA-Version 4.0, CABG-Version 2.0: 2015 Procedure-Specific Readmission Measures Updates and Specifications Report, PDF-1.5 KB (04/03/15)
- Hospital-Wide All-Cause Readmission Measure-Version 4.0: 2015 Measures Updates and Specifications Report, PDF-1.5 KB (04/03/15)
Previous annual measure updates and specifications reports can be found on the Readmission Measures Archived Resources page.
Readmission Measure Development (original methodology reports)
The following reports provide measure development background and rationale, description of YNHHSC/CORE’s model development and testing approach, and detailed measure specifications.
- Hospital 30-Day AMI Readmission Measure Methodology, PDF-655 KB (04/10/09)
- Hospital 30-Day Readmission Following Admission for an Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Measure Methodology Report, PDF-598 KB (09/29/11)
- Hospital 30-Day Heart Failure Readmission Measure Methodology, PDF-697 KB (04/23/08)
- Hospital 30-Day Pneumonia Readmission Measure Methodology, PDF-655 KB (06/09/08)
- Hospital 30-Day Readmission Following Acute Ischemic Stroke Hospitalization Measure, Measure Methodology Report, PDF-721 KB (09/29/10)
- Hospital 30-Day Readmission following Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery, Measure Technical Report, PDF-3.2 MB (08/27/14)
- Hospital 30-Day Readmission following THA/TKA, Measure Technical Report, PDF-1.1 MB (08/16/12)
- Hospital-Wide Readmission Measure Technical Report, PDF-2.3 MB (08/16/12)
Additional information about the measure methodology is available in the peer-reviewed literature.